Current Affairs – January 2012
Disclaimer: This Compendium is the Intellectual Property of AimCLAT. Any person acting contrary to this will be liable for his acts.
- Salman Rushdie – was in dispute recently in relation to his visit at Jaipur Literature Festival, which was inaugurated by the Queen Mother of Bhutan, Ashi Sangay Choden Wangchuk – “Satanic Verses” – disputed novel authored by Rushdie
- A.K. Antony – Union Defence Minister
- Marc Grossman – U.S. Special Representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan
- S.Y. Quraishi – Chief Election Commissioner – other Election Commissioners are – V.S. Sampath and H.S. Bhrama
- NSAB – National Security Advisory Board – Chairman – Naresh Chandra
- R.N. Kao – Founder of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW)
- News of the World – the British News Tabloid which had to be closed following controversy in relation to phone hacking
- Megaupload.com – one of the world’s most popular file-sharing website – recently it has been shut down following piracy claims against it – Founder – Kim Dotcom
- Vodafone – U.K. based group – recently it has won a case whereby it has been exempted to pay 11,000 crore income tax for acquiring majority stake in Hutchison-Essar.,
- HUL – Hindustan Unilever Limited
- S. Gopalakrishanan – Executive Chairman, Infosys
- Azim Premji – Chairman, Wiprok
- Sheikh Hasina – Prime Minister, Bangladesh
- UIDAI – Union Identification Authority of India – comes under the nodal authority of the Planning Commission of India – Registrar General of India comes under the authority of Union Home Ministry
- Pink City – Jaipur
- Jarawa – tribe in Andaman and Nicobar
- Eastman Kodak Company – a US Company – it helped in bringing the world the first pictures from the moon – it has recently filed for Bankruptcy Protection
- P.H. Parekh – President, Supreme Court Bar Association – he had resigned recently following a controversy
- Suresh Kalmadi – President, Indian Olympic Association – former Chairman, CWG Organising Committee – has been facing trail for corruption charges in relation to Commonwealth Games
- Indian Naval Academy - located in Ezhimala, Kerala
- SOPA – Stop Online Piracy Act, PIPA – Protect Intellectual Property Act – two acts against whom Wikipedia had been protesting recently – it had blocked its website for a day.
- Justice R.A. Mehta – Lokayukta, Gujarat – his appointment had been challenged by Gujarat Government – High Court has recently upheld the appointment – Kamla Beniwal – Governor, Gujarat
- C.K. Mahajan – Chairman, National Anti-Doping Appeal Panel
- S. Jaipal Reddy – Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister
- Fiat India Automobiles Limited – Joint venture of Fiat and Tata Motors
- Tibet – region where China has recently announced to expand its railway network
- FNA – state run news agency of Iran
- P5+1 - Five United Nations Permanent Members plus Germany
- National Bravery Awards – awarded on Republic Day
- S.M. Srikrishna – External Affairs Minister
- Recently Union Government has decided to allow foreign Airlines to have 49 % stake in Indian Carriers – the move has been taken following the financial crisis faced by Indian Airlines
- Shiv Shankar Menon – National Security Adviser
- Portugal – Country whose court has denied to extradite Abu Salem [ he is related to Underworld] to India
- N. Chandrasekharan – CEO and MD, TCS
- The Artist – black-and-white film directed by French Director Michel Hazanavicius – this film has been nominated under 12 categories for Bafta Awards – Bafta stands for British Academy of Films and Television Arts
- INS Vikramaditya – also known as Admiral Gorshkov – to be handed over to India by Russia by 2012 – After its inclusion, India will become the 4th Country in the world after USA, Russia and UK to operate an aircraft carrier with a displacement of more than 40,000 tons.
- PIO – Person of Indian Origin
- iDiscoveri – a social enterprise involved in various initiatives aimed at quality education.
- “Fight Corruption” – an initiative by Transparency International – a helpline which will enable common person in combating corrupt practices
- General V.K. Singh – Chief of Indian Army – recently he was in news in relation to the issue of his official age – he moved to the Supreme Court against the decision of the government for not changing his age.
- INS Krishna – a training Squadron Ship of Indian Navy – will make its last voyage – it was earlier known as “HMS Andromeda” while it was under Royal Navy – it will be tentatively replaced by INS Shardul
- Suzlon Energy – a leading wind turbine manufacturer
- Web Jiabao – Premier, China
- Winners – GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS
Best Film – Musical or Comedy – The Artist
Best Director – Martin Scorsese [Hugo]
Best Actor – George Clooney [The Descendants]
Best Actress – Meryl Streep [The Iron Lady]
- Nursultan Nazarbayvev – President, Kazakhstan
- Nepal – Country with whom India has recently agreed to share terror-related Information
- UPA – United Progressive Alliance
- Nitin Gadkari – President, Bhartiya Janta Party
- Guzaarish – Indian Movie which will released in Latin Amercia – it was produced by UTV Motion Pictures
- K. Srikanth – Chairman, Selection Panel Committee of the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI)
- Laban Moiben – Winner, Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2012
- Darjeeling Tea – it has been registered as a PGI – PGI stands for Protected Geographical Indication
- DCB – Development Credit Bank
- TNA – Tamil National Alliance – an umbrella group representing Tamil Political parties in Sri Lanka
- LLRC - Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission
- Aung Sann Suu Kyi – has been honoured with National Order of the Legion d’Honneur – a French Honour – in recognition of her long struggle for democracy.
- Ma Yingjeou – has been re-elected as the President of Taiwan
- Roskomos – Russian Space Federal Agency – Phobos-Grunt – a Russian probe designed to travel to a moon of Mars which was stuck within the Earth’s orbit.
- Costa Concordia – Cruise which had flipped off recently after it hit a Rock
- Bashar-al-Assad – President, Syria
- Homai Vyarwala – considered to be India’s 1st woman photo-journalist – she has passed away recently
- Milan Luthira – Director, The Dirty Picture – it has been produced by Ekta Kapoor and others.
- B.C. Khanduri – Chief Minister, Uttrakhand
- Bihar – State which has launched the details of Convicted persons in Criminal Cases under the category “Civil Consequence of Crime”
- Germany – it is the largest economy in the Eurozone.
- Gangasagar Mela – held in Kolkata
- Umesh Yadav – Indian bowler who has recently registered 2nd Best Figure by an Indian Bowler in Perth, 5/93 [Cricket Ground] – after Bishan Bedi
- Haroon Logart – Chief Executive, International Cricket Council
- Cricket – it had been played only once at the Olympics in 1900.
- Standard and Poor’s – a credit rating agency – Chairman – John Chambers
- EFSF – European Financial Stability Facility
- Tunisa – Country which has celebrated anniversary of the revolution which ended the dictatorship of Zine El Adbidine Ben Ali [Its president]
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda –Chief Minister, Haryana
- IMA – Indian Medical Association – largest non-governmental organisation of doctors in India.
- IMBL - International Maritime Boundary Line
- M.C. Joshi – Chairman, Central Board of Direct Taxes
- Facebook, Google – among 21 sites against which sanction has been granted by to prosecute them with regard to the objectionable material which they had on their websites.
- NCTC – National Counter-Terrorism Centre – to be set up by the Union Government – will work under Intelligence Bureau.
- V.K. Singh – Army Chief – determination of his age was in dispute recently.
- INS Arindaman – second Arihant class nuclear submarine – INS Arihant was launched in the year 2009 – INS Chakra – has been borrowed from Russia on a 10-year lease which is a nuclear powered submarine.
- McDonalds – U.S. Food Giant which will remain a key sponsor of the Olympic Games until at least the year 2020.
- Asian Shooting Championship 2012 – Doha, Qatar.
- Apple Inc. – recently it has halted sale of iPhone 4S in China because of security fears – CEO – Tim Cook
- “e-biz” – the new portal to be a one-stop solution for the industry to submit applications, obtain licenses, and seek renewal of the existing online applications – Andhra Pradesh to launch this unique Government-to-Business Portal.
- Bardley Manning – the U.S. military analyst charged with the biggest leak of the state secrets in U.S. History – it had leaked these secrets to Wikileaks
- Pakistan – Country which is currently facing Political Crisis between the government and the Army.
- Dam999 – movie directed by Sohan Roy – it is banned in the state of Tamil Nadu because of its alleged connection with the issue of Mullaperiyar Dam
- Top Gear – a popular motoring show on BBC – presented by Jeremy Clarkson – the show was in dispute recently because of its alleged racial remarks against India.
- David Cameron – Prime Minister, England
- Shahid Malik – Pakistan’s High Commissioner to India
- Dinesh Trivedi – Union Railway Minister
- Margaret Chan – Director-General, World Health Organisation
- Ghulam Nabi Azad – Union Health Minister
- Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria – Countries considered to be “endemic” to polio – two years ago, India was also considered to be a such country – recently India has reported not a single case of wild polio for a year – Polio is caused by Poliomyelitis
- S.D. Sibhulal – CEO & MD, Infosys
- Phobos Grunt – Russia’s failed Mars Probe – is likely to fall into the Indian Ocean
- TMT – a Hawaii telescope to be jointly constructed by India and China – to be the world’s largest telescope.
- There are three kinds of Polio Virus – PV1 , PV2 , PV3
- Sheikh Hasina – Prime Minister, Bangladesh
- Jaitapur Nuclear Plant- situated in Maharashtra
- Jeremy Clarkson – presents the BBC’s show Top Gear in UK – was accused of concluding a racist programme by mocking Indian Culture – accusations have been made by Indian High Commission in London.
- Red Ribbon Express – Train related to AIDS awareness programme – its third phase has recently been launched by the Union Health Minister.
- João Cravinho – he has been appointed the Ambassador — Head of Delegation of the European Union in India.
- Ashfaq Kayani – Army Chief, Pakistan
- ISI – Inter-Services-Intelligence – Chief – Ahmed Shuja Pasha – recently Pakistan has been facing political crisis following the controversy between Government on one hand, and ISI and Army on another hand – Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has sacked Defence Secretary Khalid Lodhi in between this controversy.
- Ajit Singh – Union Civil Aviation Minister of India
- Daniel Ortega – has recently been assumed the office of the President of Nicaraguan for third term.
- Shivraj Singh Chauhan – Chief Minister, Madhya Pradesh
- Chairman, Bar Council Of India – Ashok K. Prarija
- Swami Vivekanand – his 150th Birth Anniversary has recently been celebrated
- 42% - percentage of Children who are underweight in India – according to a new study – conducted by Naandi Foundation.
- Salman Khurshid – Union Law Minister – recently Election Commission has served notice to him for promising sub-quota to Muslims ahead of UP Assembly Polls.
- Mamta Banerjee – Chief Minister, West Bengal
- Anuj Bidve – The student in whose memory a fund has been decided to set up.
- Moniligaster Ivaniosi – new species of earthworm found in Andaman and Nicobar
- Zhang Zun – the first Chinese to learn classical dance in India [Bharatnatyam and Kathak] – she has passed away recently
- Lionel Messi – has won the award of Ballon d’Or , which has been merged with the FIFA World Player of the year – he has won this award for 3rd consecutive time – 2nd Player to win this award three consecutive times after Michael Pitani
Homare Sawa – Woman World Player of the Year 2011 [FIFA]
- NADA – National Anti Doping Agency
- Bobby Jindal - the first Indian-American Governor in the U.S. – began his second term as the chief of state of Louisiana following a landslide victory.
- David Cameron – Prime Minister, England
- Yusuf Raza Gilani – Prime Minister, Pakistan
- European Union – 27 Members
- Moody’s Corporation – a global rating agency – it has upgraded India’s rating of short-term foreign currency bank deposits from ‘speculative’ to ‘investment’ grade.
- Madhya Pradesh – State having highest Infant Mortality rate in India
- “Response 10” – an initiative to be started by Mumbai Police to tackle against terrorism in the City.
- Kamla Prasad Bissessar – Prime Minister, Trinidad and Tobago
- Dal Lake – located in Jammu and Kashmir
- Salman Rusidhe – he was in controversy recently relating to his visit to Jaipur Literature Festival – his arrival had been opposed by certain groups
- - Viswanath Venkat Dasari – a visually challenged 18 year-old boy, who has authored Pharaoh and the King , a story based on Indian and Egyptian mythology.
- Swift (Maruti Suzuki) - has been chosen as the ‘Indian Car Of The Year 2012′ – adjudged by India’s leading automobile experts and writers of automobile magazines – the only car in India to receive this coveted title twice
- S. Jaipal Reddy – Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Hu Jintao – President, China
- Vijay Kumar – Acting President, Indian Olympic Association
- 10th Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas – Jaipur – Chief Guest – Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar
- Gir Wildlife Sanctuary – located in the state in Gujarat
- ICANN – Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers – global body that oversees the operation and administration of the Internet domain name system.
- Aung San Suu Kyi – Myanmar political leader who had been serving house arrest for a long period of time
- LG Electronics – a South Korean Manufacturer
- NIA – National Investigating Agency
- Union Minister for Rural Development – Jairam Ramesh.
- Sukh Ram - convicted in the case relating to the purchase of telecom equipment in 1993-94 resulting in a loss of Rs.1.66 crore to the exchequer
- “Year of Germany in India” – from September 2011 to November 2012
- Trek Elite 9.9 SSL – bike launched by Firefox at Auto Expo, New Delhi – India’s costliest bicycle worth Rs.4.25-lakh
Current Affairs from January 1- January 7/8 will be updated by the end of this Month.
Complied by – Abhinav Shrivastava, Batch of 2015, NUJS, Kolkata
Click Here to Download in PDF Format - Download Current Affairs January 2012